Monday 27 July 2009

Rooksbury has provided me with another first, glow worms. On Friday night I attended the first of this years bat evenings. A training and refresher session for those of us that will be taking part in the bat surveys along the Anton in the next few months. In the capable hands of Sarah and Kate the bat expert a total of 15 of us were given the basics of bat identification and use of a bat detector. After the theory we had a leisurely walk around Rooksbury watching and listening to the bats as they came out of the roosts and started to feed in the trees and over the lakes and certain parts of the river. We identified the following 5 types, The Common and Soprano Pipistrelle, The Daubenton, The Serotine and The Noctule. Although seemingly impossible to distinguish the ticks, chips and tacks the bats made by the end of the evening it was possible to tell which was which and I think we all realised that with a bit more practice it wouldn’t be that hard to match the calls to the bats. To round off the evening we spotted the three glow worms beside the river above the bridge by the A303. The evening started off well as Sarah and I spotted a juvenile water vole happily munching on water cress by the second bridge. I then spotted another five water voles within twenty feet of each other all in the open and all happily eating water cress. Six water voles in twenty minutes is, I’m sure, a record. Of course I didn’t have my camera with me!!! I visited Rooksbury on the last two weekends and apart from seeing the ever increasing water vole population I saw, I’m pleased to say, a kingfisher on both occasions. Both sightings were the normal blur of red and blue darting along the river. But after an absence of several months it’s great to have these jewels back.
I completed a very successful water vole survey with Aidan last Wednesday along the river adjacent to the Mill. Although we didn’t spot any water voles we did find some evidence in the form of droppings, latrines and feeding remains as well as some otter tracks. We also spoke to some of the property owners along the river. It’s always a pleasure to speak to the people who live along the river as they see so much more. It’s also a good time to pass on information about what signs they might see which will let them know what is passing through there areas.
James Cooke

1 comment:

Kate said...

Delighted to see another blog following the fortunes of water voles. There's getting to be quite a network of us!